The Office of Career Planning and Professional Development (CPPD) is a comprehensive resource center, designed to assist students and alumni in every phase of their career planning process. CPPD serves as a professional employment and preparation resource, offering year-round service to students, alumni and employers.
This office is committed to advising and assisting students to develop the skills necessary to become more marketable, and assist in their job search efforts. A list of services includes:
- 12Twenty: This exciting, new online service provides career services management. This user friendly platform is designed to assist your career planning and professional development needs. With this new platform students and alumni will be able to:
- Receive customized daily or weekly updates with new opportunities tailored to their preferences
- See the latest schedule of workshops, mock interviews, and information sessions
- Target employers that align with career goals, develop a professional network and track every step of your career search
- Manage your resumes, cover letters, and other application documents
- Search AND apply to Job Postings (part-time, full-time, externships, etc)
- Search AND apply to On-Campus Recruiting opportunities and track your applications
- Schedule a counseling appointment with a career counselor
- Report and track summer jobs, academic year experiences, and first job out of law school
- Access to employment data like offer timeline and salary insights – helping students gain a key strategic understanding into employers needs and hiring trends
- Review career resources in the new Resource Library
- Use live walkthrough tutorials ensuring you are never alone in navigating the system
- Individual Counseling: A career counselor is available, by appointment, to meet with students and alumni to offer suggestions for drafting an effective resume and cover letter.
- Programming: Throughout the year, workshops on resume and cover letter writing, networking, job search strategies, interviewing techniques and how to dress for success are offered. In addition, panel presentations by practitioners on different practice areas and topics are offered for professional development.
- On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program: Students will have the opportunity to interview with potential employers through CPPD. Employers are invited on campus to interview students for positions as law clerks, interns, summer associates, first year associates, and more.
- Mock Interviews: Students will have an opportunity to prepare for upcoming interviews through mock interviews. The students will be given feedback to improve their interviewing skills.
- Employment Opportunities: Employment opportunities are regularly posted on TWEN and 12Twenty online platforms. Bulletins are also located in the office common area.
- Reciprocity: Reciprocity opportunities may be available to students and alumni searching for employment in other jurisdictions. If reciprocity is granted, students and alumni will have access to resources from other Career Planning offices around the state and country. Reciprocity for Florida A&M Law Graduates must be made by the CPPD. To obtain Reciprocity with another law school, please contact: Pamela Jones firstname.lastname@example.org or Merline Dieujuste email@example.com and they can assist you with your request.
- Publications and Books: Relevant employment and career search publications are located in the law library on the 4th floor and in the office common area.
- Job and Career Fairs: FAMU COL participates in various recruitment programs in Florida and across the country. Information about such programs will be posted on TWEN and 12Twenty and on the bulletin board in the office common area.
- Other Resources: Students and alumni have access to computer, printer, fax machine and copier for use in their job search only. Resume paper is also available upon request.
Office of Career Planning and Professional Development
Florida A&M University College of Law 201 Beggs Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801
Office: (407) 254-4032
Fax: (407) 254-2455
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Monday – Tuesday – Thursday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.