The Office of Career Planning and Professional Development (CPPD) is a comprehensive resource center, designed to assist students and alumni in every phase of their career planning process. CPPD serves as a professional employment and preparation resource, offering year-round service to students, alumni and employers.
This office is committed to advising and assisting students to develop the skills necessary to become more marketable, and assist in their job search efforts. A list of services includes:
- Symplicity: Symplicity is an online platform designed to assist in your career planning and professional development. Students and alumni have access to post resumes and cover letters for review and feedback. Students and alumni also have the opportunity to register for job fairs and sign up for OCI with various employers. Additionally students and alumni have access to job postings and information about all other programs and events conducted through the office.
- Individual Counseling: A career counselor is available, by appointment, to meet with students and alumni to offer suggestions for drafting an effective resume and cover letter.
- Programming: Throughout the year, workshops on resume and cover letter writing, networking, job search strategies, interviewing techniques and how to dress for success are offered. In addition, panel presentations by practitioners on different practice areas and topics are offered for professional development.
- On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program: Students will have the opportunity to interview with potential employers through CPPD. Employers are invited on campus to interview students for positions as law clerks, interns, summer associates, first year associates, and more.
- Mock Interviews: Students will have an opportunity to prepare for upcoming interviews through mock interviews. The students will be given feedback to improve their interviewing skills.
- Employment Opportunities: Employment opportunities are regularly posted on TWEN and Symplicity online platforms. Bulletins are also located in the office common area.
- Reciprocity: Reciprocity opportunities may be available to students and alumni searching for employment in other jurisdictions. If reciprocity is granted, students and alumni will have access to resources from other Career Planning offices around the state and country. Reciprocity for Florida A&M Law Graduates must be made by the CPPD. To obtain Reciprocity with another law school, please contact: Pamela Jones email@example.com or Merline Dieujuste firstname.lastname@example.org and they can assist you with your request.
- Publications and Books: Relevant employment and career search publications are located in the law library on the 4th floor and in the office common area.
- Job and Career Fairs: FAMU COL participates in various recruitment programs in Florida and across the country. Information about such programs will be posted on TWEN and Symplicity and on the bulletin board in the office common area.
- Other Resources: Students and alumni have access to computer, printer, fax machine and copier for use in their job search only. Resume paper is also available upon request.
Office of Career Planning and Professional Development
Florida A&M University College of Law 201 Beggs Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801
Office: (407) 254-4032
Fax: (407) 254-2455
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Monday – Tuesday – Thursday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.