Rumberger Kirk & Caldwell to Host
Professional Development Series at FAMU Law
The law firm’s partners, associates and non-lawyer professionals will share valuable insights and skills training, enabling students to graduate “practice-ready” with real-life experience
Orlando, Fla. (May 15, 2019) – Rumberger Kirk & Caldwell has partnered with Florida A&M University (FAMU) College of Law to present a series of workshops and lectures designed to help students hone their professional and practical skills before entering the legal profession.
“The Rumberger Kirk & Caldwell Professional Development Series” will feature highly skilled attorneys, as well as human resources and marketing professionals, who will share experiential knowledge on a variety of career topics critical for law students.
“We are very excited to partner with the firm of Rumberger Kirk & Caldwell to offer our students this unique opportunity to expand their knowledge,” said Nicky Boothe Perry, interim dean of FAMU College of Law. “Our goal is to develop law students who are practice-ready when they graduate, and our new professional development series will provide students with key skills to help them achieve that goal.”
Rumberger has assembled nearly a dozen attorneys – including partners – and non-lawyer professionals to conduct the workshops that will focus on strengthening students’ employability and practice skills. Students who attend all five sessions will be awarded a certificate from the firm for successful completion of The Rumberger Kirk & Caldwell Professional Development Series.
“We are honored to partner with FAMU on this program, as our firm is committed to developing the next generation of confident, sharply skilled and well-rounded trial attorneys,” said Rumberger, Kirk & Caldwell Managing Partner Frank Sheppard. “The practical sessions and mock trial experience will expose the law students to litigators’ daily tasks, both inside and out of the courtroom, and will ensure students are exceptionally prepared as they begin their professional careers.”
The Rumberger Kirk & Caldwell Professional Development Series will begin June 12, 2019 with a presentation on Depositions by Darryl Gavin, a partner who practices in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith and employment law, and associate Shenele Pettis Bright. The Depositions presentation will be open to a select group of FAMU College of Law students and will be conducted at the law firm’s Orlando office, 300 South Orange Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32801.
The series continues with a Mock Trial to be held at the law firm on July 29, 2019. A select group of students who attend the Deposition presentation will be invited to observe.
All remaining workshops and lectures will be conducted at the FAMU College of Law, 201 Beggs Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32801.
- August 28, 2019: “Bar Admissions Overview,”presented by Jack Weiss, an of counsel attorney with a specialization in professional responsibility.
- September 18, 2019: “Interviewing Do’s and Don’ts,” presented by Angela Sterley, Director of Human Resources and Recruiting.
- October 23, 2019: “Motions Practice,”presented by Daniel Gerber, a partner who represents clients in the areas of toxic tort, class actions, commercial litigation and governmental affairs.
- January 15, 2020: “Pre-suit Investigations,”presented by Steven Klein, a partner who represents clients in the areas of product liability defense and warranty and lemon law.
- February 19, 2020: “Marketing and Business Development,” presented by Marisa Eubanks, Director of Marketing and Chase Hattaway, a partner who represents higher education institutions and companies in employment law.