Reginald J. Mitchell, Esq. is currently the FAMU College of Law Director of Academic Success and Bar Preparation Program. He is also volunteering as the FAMU Rattler Boosters, Inc General Counsel and the FAMU National Alumni Association Recording Secretary. He is formerly the Assistant General Counsel for Risk of the Florida Department of Children and Families. He was formerly a Medicaid Subrogation Attorney with Health Management Systems; Florida Legal Counsel of People for the American Way (PFAW) as a registered lobbyist with the Florida Legislature; and Florida Election Protection Director of People for the American Way Foundation. Mr. Mitchell also served as an Associate Attorney at Parks and Crump, LLC. Mr. Mitchell’s areas of practice included personal injury, wrongful death and auto-tort litigation.
In 1988, Mr. Mitchell received his Bachelor of Science degrees in Political Science and Business Administration from Florida A&M University (FAMU). While attending FAMU, he served as the Student Government Association President. He later founded the FAMU Pathway to Law Program (pre-law program) that assisted those, like himself, who aspired to attend law school. After teaching a variety of pre-law courses and serving as director of the pre-law program, Mr. Mitchell left FAMU to pursue his law degree.
In 1995, Mr. Mitchell received his Masters in Business Administration, concentrating in Management Information Systems. In 1996, he received his Juris Doctor degrees from the University of Minnesota. In law school, Mr. Mitchell served on the Civil Rights Moot Court Team. He was elected twice to the Law Council and served as Secretary/Treasurer during the 2nd term. He also served as the Attorney General and founding Webmaster of the National Black Law Students Association.
Upon graduation, Mr. Mitchell returned to his alma mater to serve as Assistant to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Additionally, he was Executive Assistant to the President & Assistant Lobbyist during the return of the FAMU College of Law in 2000. He served on the law school’s Dean Selection Committee, Site Selection Committee, and Building Program Committee.
His professional memberships include the Florida Bar, the Northern. Middle & Southern District of Florida Federal Bars, the National Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
Office # 191. Drop by or schedule an appointment.
Office: (407) 254 3284
Courses taught by Professor Mitchell:
- Introduction to Analytical Skills I & II
- Contracts Drafting
- Multistate Bar Law and Skills
Professor Reginald Mitchell was the featured speaker at the Florida A&M University SGA Retreat at the Hansel E. Tookes Sr. Campus Recreation Center on Saturday, November 5, 2016 . He spoke on Ethical Leadership and Best Practices: Constitution and Statutes Review. Professor Mitchell has been asked to provide a document with a recommendation for changes to the SGA Constitution and Bylaws for the SGA Leadership to review.
- Professor Reginald Mitchell spoke on a panel for the Tiger Bay Club of Central Florida on Thursday, May 21, 2015, at the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Orlando. Tiger Bay Club President Earnest DeLoach invited Professor Mitchell because the Club “would love to have a professor with [his] level of insight on the political and legislative process. [They were] especially looking for someone who’s been around the process and [could] give a sense of perspective on how this session’s dysfunction compares to others.” The Tiger Bay Club of Central Florida is presented on its website as “the region’s premier non-partisan political club” with a membership consisting of “business leaders, lawyers, judges, and all levels of elected officials.”
- Mitchell, Reginald (2015). FAMU NAA Nuts and Bolts: Finances & Reporting (compliance with FAMU NAA rules and IRS or other federal or state codes). Workshop presentation at the FAMU National Alumni Association’s (NAA) 51st Northeast Regional Conference August 14, 2015 at the Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham, MA.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2015). Panelist on Orlando Tiger Bay Club Legislative Budget Crisis Panel on May 21, 2015 at the Doubletree Hotel in Orlando, FL.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2011). Lessons Learned: The Risky Legal Ropes to Skip and Know. Paper presented at the Department of Children and Families (DCF) Pathway to Independence Summit in Orlando, FL on September 9, 2011.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2010) Election Protection Poll Monitor Training, Virgil Hawkins Chapter of the National Bar Association (VHCNBA) Lawyer Training CLE on October 20, 2010.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2009). Risk Management Basics. Presentation at the DCF Adult Protective Services Advocacy and Beyond Statewide Training Event in Orlando, FL on September 8-10, 2011.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2010) “How You Can Help To Protect The Election” CLE Presentation, Virgil Hawkins Chapter of the National Bar Association (VHCNBA) Lawyer Training CLE in Tampa, Florida on February 8, 2008.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2007), “Election Protection” CLE Presentation, National Bar Association 82nd Annual Convention and Exhibits on July 28 – August 4, 2007 in Atlanta, GA.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2006), “Election Protection” CLE Presentation, National Bar Association 81st Annual Convention and Exhibits on August 5 – 12, 2006 in Detroit, Michigan.
- Mitchell, Reginald (2004), “Election Protection” CLE Presentation, National Bar Association 79th Annual Convention and Exhibits on August 7 – 14, 2004 in Charlotte, North Carolina.