The Office of Career Planning and Professional Development (CPPD) is a comprehensive resource center, designed to assist students and alumni in every phase of their career planning process. It offers year-round service to students, alumni and employers. Students are not merely “placed” in jobs; however, we help students develop the skills necessary to become more marketable, creating opportunities and assisting in their job search efforts. CPPD offers helpful advice relative to work habits demanded within the legal profession. We view the challenge of obtaining legal employment as a creative process that demands intellectual inquisitiveness, individual responsibility, accountability and a commitment to personal excellence.
CPPD also works with employers to help you craft job descriptions, register as an employer with FAMU Law, identify opportunities to engage with our students and alumni, and to discuss your hiring needs. We can be a resource for you as well.
Here are some of the services we offer our students:
- Individual Counseling – a career counselor is available by appointment to meet with students and alumni and offer suggestions on how to craft an effective resume and cover letter. If you are a FAMU Law graduate, this resource is available to you as well.
- Programming– resume and cover letter writing workshops, networking, job search strategies, interviewing techniques, how to dress for success, panel presentations by practitioners on different practice areas and topics. If you would like to be on a panel, please contact Assistant Dean Randolph Reliford, email@example.com
- On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program – Following the first semester of law school, students will receive the opportunity to interview with potential employers. Students may interview for positions as law clerks, interns, summer associates, first year associates, volunteers, runners and more. If your firm is interested in participating in OCI, please click the link to register for On Campus Interviewing.
- Mock Interviews – to help prepare students for upcoming interviews, mock interviews are conducted to give feedback and offer constructive criticism. If you would like to serve as a mock interviewer for our students or alumni, please contact Assistant Dean Randolph Reliford, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 12Twenty – is an on-line career center designed to assist in your with advertising jobs to the students through the Job Posting or OCI features.
- Job Fairs and Career Fairs – FAMU College of Law participates in a number of recruitment programs in Florida and across the country. Information about such programs is posted on TWEN and 12Twenty.
Florida A&M University Non-Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of Florida A&M University that each member of the University community is permitted to work or attend class in an environment free from any form of discrimination including race, religion, color, age, disability, sex, sexual harassment, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, and veteran status as prohibited by State and Federal Statues. This commitment applies to all areas affecting students, employees, applicants for admission and applicants for employment. It is also relevant to the University’s selection of contractors, suppliers of goods and services and any employment conditions and practices.
Employers Utilizing CPPD Services
Employers who discriminate based on race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, and veteran status are prohibited from access to the services of the Career Services Office at the Florida A&M University College of Law. A limited exception exists for military recruiters and federal agencies, but only to the extent that their employment and hiring practices are permitted under federal law.”
By using the career services management system you agree and acknowledge that you have read, understand, and will adhere to the Florida A&M University College of Law Non-Discrimination Policy as stated above.