Associate Dean for Teaching and
Faculty Development and Professor of Law
Senior Founding Faculty Member
Professor Joan R.M.
Bullock, J.D., MBA, CPA, is an inaugural faculty member at the Florida
A&M University College of Law. She teaches Contracts, Sales,
Secured Transactions, Payment Systems, Business Organizations, Federal
Income Tax, Professional Responsibility, Law Office Management, and
Accounting for Lawyers. Prior to coming to Orlando, Professor
Bullock was a tenured professor at the University of Toledo College of
Law and has also taught at Georgia State University College of Law.
In addition to her
teaching career, she is a member of the Michigan Bar and has
practiced before the United States Tax Court. Professor Bullock has
assisted many start-up enterprises, including law firms, providing
legal, accounting, tax, and general business services. Prior to
teaching, Professor Bullock worked as a certified public accountant for
the Detroit office of Coopers & Lybrand. There, she practiced
in the areas of corporate tax, mergers and acquisitions, and valuation.
Professor Bullock currently serves as the immediate past Chair of the American Bar Association's Law Practice Division (formerly the ABA Law Practice Management Section). Additionally, she serves as the Division's liaison to the ABA Council for Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipeline and is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation. She is an affiliate member of the Florida Bar serving on the CLE Committee and as FAMU's liaison to the Business Law Section.
Professor Bullock is a strong proponent of law firm leadership doing the requisite due diligence for initiating transformational change for the success of their firms. Her expertise in law firm management has been called upon to assist firms in making the strategic changes necessary for achieving growth in the new economy.
Presentations by Dean Bullock:
- "Strategic Planning for Law Firms," Florida A&M University College of Law, upcoming, November 22, 2013.
- “Ethics & Technology in Today’s Practice of Law,” The 16th Annual Conference Land Use Law, Tampa, FL, August, 2013.
- "How to Control Your Business Instead of Having Your Business Control You," Orange County Bar Association, Orlando, FL, July 2013
- "The Ethics Game" 2013 Black Executive Exchange Program, Orlando, FL, June 2013.
- "Basics of Accounting for Lawyers," ABA 2013 Minority Counsel Program, Chicago, IL, May 2013.
- "Business Development Through Building Your Brand," ABA National Conference for Minority Lawyers, Chicago, IL, May 2013.
- "Challenges and Opportunities for Diverse 21st Century Lawyers: Ethical Considerations of Emerging Practice Models," ABA National Conference for Minority Lawyers, Chicago, IL, May 2013.
- "The 21st Century Lawyer: Ethical Issues for the Real Estate Attorney," The 49th Annual Fund Assembly, Orlando, FL, May 2013.
- "Dollars and Sense: Trust Accounting Using Technology," Florida A&M University College of Law, Orlando, FL, March 2013.
- "What's Holding You Back: Preparing for the Growth of Your Practice," Avvo Webinar, March 2013.
- "Networking and Strategic Relationships--Gaining Access to Key People and Resources," Ark, Women Legal 2013, San Francisco, CA, January 2013.
- "Strategic and Ethical Business Development for Lawyers," Florida A&M University College of Law, September 2012.
- "The Business of the Practice," The Reformed Law ProfSM, St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami, FL, March 2012.
- "The Business Case for Diversity," ABA New Partner and In-House Counsel Conference, Philadelphia, PA, March 2012.
- "Marketing for Lawyers and Law Firms Series," The Reformed Law ProfSM, Orlando, FL, 2010 - present.
- "Communication Skills for Attorneys," Florida A&M University College of Law, November 2011.
- "Finding Your Voice: Common Habits of Successful Businesses," Strategic Relationship Building Networking Group, Lake Mary, FL, September 2011.
- "Ethical Considerations in Creating a Culture of Diversity in Law Firms," Orange County Bar Association, Orlando, FL, August 2011.
- "Fundamentals of Law Practice Management" ABA, Dubai, Sharjah, Qatar, UAE, May 2011.
- "What Law School Didn't Teach You: Self-Advocacy for Survival and Sustainability," ABA-CLE, ABA Law Practice Management, Spring 2010 Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, April 2010.
- "How to Keep Your License While Practicing Law," The University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, OH, April 2010.
- "Ethics of a Solo/Small Firm Practice," Florida A&M University College of Law, Orlando, FL, November, 2009.
- "The Diversity Dilemma," ABA Law Practice Management Law Firm Marketing Strategies Conference, Washington, D.C., November 2007.
- "Diversity: A Culture of Inclusion," ABA Law Practice Management Section, Fall 2007 Meeting, San Juan, PR, October 2007.
- "Fulfilling the Diversity Initiative: Meeting the Expectations of the Law Firm, the Diverse Workforce, and the Client, " Presidential CLE Showcase Program, ABA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, August 2007.