Welcome to Career Planning and Placement
The Office of Career Planning and Placement (OCPP) is a comprehensive resource center, designed to assist students and alumni in every phase of their career planning process. The OCPP serves as a professional employment and preparation resource, offering year-round service to students, alumni and employers.
The OCPP looks at your professional endeavors as unique and deserving of individual development. The OCPP offers helpful advice relative to work habits demanded within the legal profession. We view the challenge of obtaining legal employment as a creative process that demands intellectual inquisitiveness, individual responsibility, accountability and a commitment to personal excellence.
The OCPP offers a variety of services for students and alumni.
- Individual Counseling – a career counselor is available by appointment to meet with students and alumni and offer suggestions on how to craft an effective resume and cover letter designed to help land your dream job.
- Programming– workshops on resume and cover letter writing, networking, job search strategies, interviewing techniques, how to dress for success, panel presentations by practitioners on different practice areas and topics, and much more.
- On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program – Following the first semester of law school, students will receive the opportunity to interview with potential employers through the OCPP. Legal employers are invited on campus to interview students for positions as law clerks, interns, summer associates, first year associates, volunteers, runners and more.
- Mock Interviews – to help prepare students for upcoming interviews, mock interviews are conducted to give feedback and offer constructive criticism.
- Job Postings – jobs are posted as they are received and are available on TWEN and Symplicity.
- Reciprocity– most ABA-approved law schools will grant reciprocity to allow students and alumni searching for employment in their area to use their resources to assist in their job search. FAMU, in turn, honors the same.
- Publications and Books – are located in the law library on the 4th floor.
- Job Fairs and Career Fairs – FAMU COL participates in a number of recruitment programs in Florida and across the country. Information about such programs will be posted on TWEN and Symplicity.
- Other Resources – computer, printer, fax machine and copier are available to students for use in their job search only, including drafting resumes, cover letters, on-line job search and other career-related tasks.
- OCPP Newsletter –published monthly during fall and spring semesters.
- Symplicity–is an on-line career center designed to assist in your career planning process. You will be able to post your resume and cover letter, search for jobs, sign up for job fairs, OCI’s, programs and events, and much more, all on line.